Theory of Cinematic Architecture
The Definition of Cinematic Architecture
In this way, we hope you realise the value and possibility of promoting the quest of cinematic architecture that started from Professor Pascal Shöning’s studio in AA, even after closing the studio, by knowing the diversification of media art, the expansion of the meaning of architecture, ( you may not believe if you were in Japan ) and more and more discussion in conjunction with architecture and cinema in the world.
Taking these facts, for the definition of cinematic architecture, CAT is proposing here the definition once hypothetically. These may be modified with our experiments and verification in the future. This work will be continued until the cinematic architecture is completely defined.
(1) Is anything that user feels as if they are “watching a film” cinématic architecture?
(2) Does anything have a cinematic sequence cinematic architecture?
(3) Is anything using the film language and concept in the design of cinematic architecture?
(4) Is anything using narrative and story told like film (in other words the architecture with narratives) cinematic architecture?
(5) Does (including the cinematic apparatus) anything have specific elements in film theatres’ cinematic architecture?
(6) Incorporating the cinématic natural phenomena of cinematic architecture?
(7) Is anything acting on the stream of consciousness or memory cinematic architecture?
(8) Is anything inspired by a certain part of a particular film or a film’s cinematic architecture?
(9) Alternatively, is a process to produce cinematic architecture above all cinematic architecture?
(10) Possibly how about architectural film?
(11) To begin with, is the distinction between cinematic architecture and architectural film needed?
Some buildings and objects look cinematic from time to time as they have lighting or moving images on facades or other parts. However, according to the recognition of architecture, CAT considers “Cinematic Architecture” as only those expressions and designs on architecture that use the conditions above all and sophisticate, and we take them as the reference to the direction for our purpose and design.
These descriptions above all is taken from CAT Essential Workshops and Seminars, “What is a cinematic architecture?” (2015) and “Watching Films Architecturally” (2015) and expressly edited for the CAT website.