How do we expound architecture? According to Oxford English Dictionary, it has been defined as follows:
- Buildings that people use. Art or science to build it.
- Public, military, housing, religion, ship facilities, workpiece (such as bridges).
- However, the word "architecture" until the mid-19th century, had been exclusively regarded as art.
- The action or process of building. arch. Specific methods for structure and decoration detail of a building or "style".
- Architectural work; structure, building. Computing. Structure concept and overall logical structure of the system, and act to realize them.
- Construction or structure generally.
(The special method or ‘style’ in accordance with which the details of the structure and ornamentation of a building are arranged.)
- Computing. The conceptual structure and overall logical organization of a computer or computer-based system from the point of view of its use or design; a particular realization of this.
‘ARCHITECTURE’ in Japan
Also, in order to get closer to the meaning of "architecture" especially in Japan, in a book "Architecture" (2009 · NHK Publication) in which Hiroki Azuma, a modern philosopher, mainly edited, he describes "A word ’architecture‘ means ‘building’, social design, and ‘computer system’. We are living in a world dominated by ‘architecture’ and not by ‘ideology’ any longer. What we need now is a criticism on ideology but on ‘architecture’”. In addition, a special researcher of information technology, Hamano Satoshi, defines architecture as "In the city of modern world, it is considered that architecture is not just building but an integral comprehending underlying grids with the generating force".
Moreover, using language media including "Any" series, organising architects and theorists widely in the world, stepping into modern philosophy and art with bravery, and connecting architectural theory with other intellectual notions and expand its range and , Arata Isozaki said “In this advanced world we should take the meaning of architecture as more extended theory than before. Architect doesn’t have to build things. They could just design the program of software for computers (in the society). No physical space and building needed any longer. That would be an architect in the future.” in 2006. Here, architecture is architecture and is not just a building but is integral with information system, structures and construction process and non-physical objects. Isozaki also said “It is said that nowadays there is only an algorithm for designing with no humanity but all we need now is ‘a story’” in “Love Architecture: Architecture Theory Now (T_ADS TEXTS 01)” (Tokyo University Publication) in 2014. That suggests the significance of the urban space and architecture has narratives and scenarios.
Again, CAT is attempting the definition of ‘cinématic architecture’ by recognising the meaning of ‘architecture’.